OT: vexing hw issue

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Nov 12 22:07:04 UTC 2010

On 11/12/2010 01:41 PM, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Dave Stevens<geek at uniserve.com>  wrote:
>
>> I want to make a new Fedora box so I used an existing case and put into it
>> new ASUS motherboard and a dual core low power CPU (an AM2+) and 1 gig of
>> RAM
>> (512x2) and a new 450 watt power supply. The only front panel connection is
>> for the power switch. Every time I power up (wall power is known good) the
>> unit goes through all the motions for about 5 seconds then stops dead. It
>> never gets to powering up the on-board video or doing the ram check or
>> displaying the BIOS config messages. Tried another PS with the same
>> results.
>> Any ideas? I mean ANY ideas, I'm out of clues on this one. References
>> welcome.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> If your old box does not have the connections for the front panel header the
> solution is really simple spend $20-$40 and get yourself a new case.

Have you hooked up the beeper?  Do you get any beep indications as to
how far into the POST (power-on self test) the box is getting?  Check
the motherboard manual for fault codes.

It sure sounds like there's a hardware fault--one that's not related to
the power supply since two different supplies produce the same result.
My guess is incompatible or bad memory.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -