Preupgrade with multiboot: can't find right target

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Nov 12 22:21:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:04:30 +0000
John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> My box came with MS Vista and I initially added f10, which was fully
> updated until near EOL.  Later I added a second disk and f12, and
> recently I used preupgrade for f12-to-f13.  That went well, and I
> decided to try f10-to-f14.  The packages were identified and put into
> cache and after I had copied the new lines in grub.conf from disk 1
> to disk 2 the upgrade entry appeared in the Grub menu.  The kernel
> boots but I don't think it sees the preupgrade cache and the only
> option offered is to upgrade the f13 system.  I don't want to do that.

This isn't really answering your question, just giving you what I hope
is a helpful suggestion.  Don't try to preupgrade f10 to f14.  From F11
to F12 the format of rpm changed and isn't backward compatible.  So you
have to do F10 -> F11, then F11 -> F12, then F12 -> F14.  You are
better off just saving any irreplaceable information from the F10
installation, and doing a fresh install of F14 on those partitions (use
custom on the DVD menu to select them).

Don't believe me.  See the trials and tribulations of a poor soul named
Patrick Dupre in the links below. (Ctrl-F, search on Dupre).

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-November/author.html
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-November/author.html