OT: vexing hw issue

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Nov 12 22:33:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:41:19 -0800
Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I want to make a new Fedora box so I used an existing case and put
> > into it a
> > new ASUS motherboard and a dual core low power CPU (an AM2+) and 1
> > gig of RAM
> > (512x2) and a new 450 watt power supply. The only front panel
> > connection is for the power switch. Every time I power up (wall
> > power is known good) the unit goes through all the motions for
> > about 5 seconds then stops dead. It never gets to powering up the
> > on-board video or doing the ram check or displaying the BIOS config
> > messages. Tried another PS with the same results.
> > Any ideas? I mean ANY ideas, I'm out of clues on this one.
> > References welcome.

Were you careful of ESD (electrostatic discharge) when you were
installing the CPU and the memory.  I have seen this behavior when one
of those was fried by such.  Otherwise, I agree with Rick, it sounds
like something is wrong with the motherboard.

Have you checked all the jumpers to be sure one isn't set incorrectly
for your situation. Usually, they are listed in the MB manual and the
selection position and its meaning are described.  Perhaps one came off
inadvertently or wasn't put on.

Maybe you got a returned board, that when they tested it showed good,
so they just put it back in inventory, but there is a flaw in it.