Convert ext4 lvm to normal ext4 partition

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Sat Nov 13 00:12:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 15:57 -0800, Michael Miles wrote:
> Peter Larsen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 10:34 -0800, Michael Miles wrote:

> I was running bench mark software (Seeker) which showed the huge
> difference from benching the boot (187 seeks/second) to the lvm on the
> same disk at 66 seeks/second
>
> That's a pretty big difference and it should not be

Next time run your test on the same location on the disk. Your /boot
would usually be created on the inner most tracks - the fastest tracks -
where as your LVM would be elsewhere - depending on your setup, maybe
far behind windows etc.

So create a partition, test it without lvm. Then add it as a pv, and do
the same test on the lvm on the same implementation.

Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
/*
 *     Please skip to the bottom of this file if you ate lunch recently
 *                             -- Alan
 */
	-- from Linux kernel pre-2.1.91-1