Convert ext4 lvm to normal ext4 partition

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Nov 13 01:02:27 UTC 2010

On Friday, November 12, 2010 07:12:23 pm Peter Larsen wrote:
> So create a partition, test it without lvm. Then add it as a pv, and do
> the same test on the lvm on the same implementation.

I'm running a benchmark now, using two 48GB partitions on a 100+GB drive; one LVM+ext3, one straight ext3.  Since the machine in question has 10GB of RAM, it will take a while, since bonnie++ defaults to using twice the amount of RAM for the test, to remove the RAM cache from being a factor.

Looking at this seeker program, I think comparing the small /boot partition to the larger / partition isn't really valid, since the seeks are going to be over a larger surface on / than on /boot.

I'll post when it's done, or tomorrow morning if it's not done tonight.

System is running CentOS 5.5 x86_64, but I also have a 32 bit F14 system in the midst of updating that I can try it out on, too.

Once the ext3 benchmarks are in, I'm going to migrate to ext4 on both the straight 48GB partition and the 48GB LVM logical volume; I'm going to time the migrations, and rerun bonnie++ on the resulting ext4 filesystems.