OT: vexing hw issue

Paul Otheim coriolis220 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 05:02:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:

> I want to make a new Fedora box so I used an existing case and put into it
> new ASUS motherboard and a dual core low power CPU (an AM2+) and 1 gig of
> RAM
> (512x2) and a new 450 watt power supply. The only front panel connection is
> for the power switch. Every time I power up (wall power is known good) the
> unit goes through all the motions for about 5 seconds then stops dead. It
> never gets to powering up the on-board video or doing the ram check or
> displaying the BIOS config messages. Tried another PS with the same
> results.
> Any ideas? I mean ANY ideas, I'm out of clues on this one. References
> welcome.
>
> Dave

Got another CPU? Are you sure the CPU is good?
Disconnect the power switch and use a screwdriver to make it power on. Make
sure there is not an errant screw caught under
the board somewhere. Try one stick of RAM, same stick in both slots or all
four or how ever many you have. You do have standoff's in the case right?
Make sure there isn't one where there shouldn't be one. You can test the
board out of the case, I use the wood table in the dining room or the top of

the desk. Just make sure to properly ground yourself against the metal parts
of the case or get one of those wrist straps.