End of life for FC12?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Nov 13 23:40:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:26:09 -0800 (PST)
Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com> wrote:

...snip...

> Fedora's release cycles when it was Fedora Core used to be longer and
> not on a strict schedule as it is now.  A new version was released
> when it was ready.  Fedora now has become a rapid release test bed,
> an eternal beta if you will, and we are the testers.  But that's
> okay, since the "good" stuff eventually gets into RHEL and its clones
> making them more stable and more secure with a longer life.

While it wasn't quite exactly 6months, it was pretty close.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux#Version_history

...snip...

> Also, upgrading Fedora every 6 months or so as most do on this list
> just means additional headaches and work of a couple months of fixing
> the problems with the "new" OS when the "old" one was running just
> fine, but is fast approaching "unsupported."  This is my major
> "problem" with Fedora, and mostly why I only upgrade every third
> release--Why make more work for myself?--and why I'm considering
> switching to a long term support version of Linux, whatever that may
> be.

I almost never have issues on os upgrades anymore. The last 2 machines
here I upgraded from 13->14 just worked. I didn't have to change
anything at all.

..snip...

> I've never demeaned Fedora.  There are things I don't like to be
> sure, but that can be said of all things.  I've been using it since
> FC3 after trying a dozen or so other distros before settling on it as
> my primary desktop OS. So that says something.  And I'm VERY
> particular.  It's just that over the years Fedora's development model
> and my needs have diverged.  And it's time to move on.

Sorry to hear it, but I understand your reasoning. ;)

I hope you will think fondly of Fedora and look and see how we are
doing from time to time. ;)

Good luck.

kevin