I need a new linux homepage. Ideas ?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 14 10:34:06 UTC 2010

On 14/11/10 01:20, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 13:08 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Very interesting. I created a blank "home page" in Firefox, copied
>> it to file:///mnt/srvr1/index.html and made that the opening page.
>> That worked on this F-13 box and was accessible on the F-14  too.
>> Then I thought I'd try Opera on the F-14 computer but anything I did
>> caused Opera to choke on that address, it kept inserting "localhost"
>> and I had to keep killing it.
> file:/// is the same thing as file://localhost/
>
> It's construed of file:// as protocol and separating punctuation,
> following be hostname and path e.g. localhost/ (which is root on this
> machine).  Localhost can be omitted, and you'd see three slashes in a
> row, and the software will presume it's presence where it ought to be.
> Also, another hostname could be used, and so long as it was accessible,
> it could be used, instead.
>
> e.g. file://server/bookmarks.html

    Hmm, my ignorance is showing. I wondered about the third slash but
    entering the location under "Open File" in Firefox inserted it and I
    simply used it. I will remember that.

    Opera is not my normal browser, just tried it on a whim since I had
    it left over from the F-13 upgrade to -14. It does not handle
    "file:///mnt/srvr1/index.html" it just keeps trying to access the
    server it appears form watching the eth0 monitor on gkrellm. I may
    have something set wrong in Opera ...

    Thanks.

    Bob