Impossible Internet connection.Strange thing.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sun Nov 14 13:33:44 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 13, 2010 06:13:57 pm Luis Suzuki wrote:

> I did:
> ping 18.7.22.69  and I have got : Network Unreachable.

Ok, what is the output of the following two commands:
ifconfig
ip route

> The strange thing is: everything points that the Internet connection should be OK(the Gnome task bar widget when I point the cursor over it says Auto eth0 active).

If the ifconfig output shows a 169 address, the interface is up but didn't get a reply from the DHCP server in time, or in the right format.

> I doubt that I am the only one to have this problem,so this is probably a bug that came with Fedora 14.

Conversely, it has to be something fairly unique to your setup, or there would be hundreds posting about it all over the Internet.  You may not be the only one to see the problem, but if a lot of people saw it, there would be mayhem on this list.

I'm using my F14 KDE install right now, wirelessly, just fine.  With the wired connection I do have to connect 'System Eth0' manually, but when I do it grabs a DHCP address just fine.  Haven't troubleshooted the need to manually activate System eth0 yet.