End of life for FC12?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Nov 14 13:59:24 UTC 2010

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/10/10, Gordon Messmer<yinyang at eburg.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 11/09/2010 07:35 PM, Patrick
>> Bartek wrote:
>>> I've gotten to the point where I'm tiring of Fedora's
>> fast release
>>> cycle.  I need a longer life OS.  I build my
>> personal systems to last
>>> about 5 to 7 years with periodic hardware upgrades as
>> needed.  I'd
>>> like the OS last that long, too.
>>> 5 along with CentOS and
>>> Scientific Linux versions are too old being seemingly
>> based on FC6.
>>
>> If you want your OS to last 5 to 7 years, your package
>> version are going
>> to be old.  To paraphrase Babbage, I am not able
>> rightly to apprehend
>> the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
>> requirements.
>
> That's okay as long as the OS is "current" when it is installed and will be supported for those 5 years or so.  (I'm not a cutting edge type of person.  It matters little to me whether something is new or old as long as it works and satifies my requirements.)  I wouldn't install, say, CentOS 5, on a new or old system today and not expect problems, either today or later.  That's why I'm waiting for CentOS 6 or Debian 6, etc. to be released before doing anything to my current 4 year old system--Fedora 12 64-bit.

I will probably be using CentOS-5.5 or later until CentOS-7 comes out. RHEL6 is
dropping xen, and the little utility boxes I seem to build for firewall or
similar don't have HVM and can't support KVM. Hopefully xen will be back in
mainline soon, and people will have a choice how they want to run things.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>