End of life for FC12?

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 19:51:07 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 11/14/10, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> On Saturday, November 13, 2010
> 06:26:09 pm Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I've never demeaned Fedora.  There are things I
> don't like to be sure, but that can be said of all
> things.  I've been using it since FC3 after trying a
> dozen or so other distros before settling on it as my
> primary desktop OS. So that says something.  And I'm
> VERY particular.  It's just that over the years
> Fedora's development model and my needs have diverged.
> And it's time to move on.
>
> I would recommend you take a look at a RHEL6 rebuild when
> they become available.  RHEL6 (and thus the rebuilds)
> are based off of essentially F12 with some F13 stuff in
> there, and you can then have the same setup for five
> years.  [snip]

Both CentOS 6 and SL 6 are on my short list.  As is Debian 6.  Nothing else so far, but still investigating.

> You will still be getting quarterly updates that can be
> more major than you might think; Red Hat is very good about
> backporting stuff, but every once in a while it becomes
> necessary to do a version upgrade of some package, like
> Firefox for one, that can cause more grief than you might
> think.  But, all in all, my experience running CentOS
> (2.1, 3, 4, and 5) has been very smooth.

Good to know.  It seems that CentOS is much better supported than SL, too.  (I guess those Fermi Lab guys have other things to do. ;-) )  However, SL seems noticeably faster than Cent.

> [snip]  The most
> stable releases of Fedora have always seemed to be the ones
> right before a new RHEL, and the least stable the ones right
> after a new RHEL; this hasn't been true in a while, although
> I'll have to admit that going from F8 to F9 tried my
> patience; KDE 4 I really didn't need, I was productive in
> KDE 3.5.10.  Enough that I went Kubuntu 8.04 LTS for a
> while, but after seeing that the grass wasn't any greener
> (in fact, it was browner!) in Kubuntu-land came back with
> F11, which seemed nice and solid.  And there were quite
> a few more than the previous three Fedora releases between
> RHEL5 and RHEL6.

I never liked Ubuntu:  The way it was set up; the way it worked.  And the color. Ugh!  Bull shit brown.  Awful.  You only get one chance to make a good first impression.  Ubuntu didn't.

> And I'm now as productive in KDE 4 as I was in
> 3.5.10.  But it did take a while.

I left KDE behind in favor of GNOME when I switched from Slackware to Fedora Core 3.  Up until that time I found GNOME lacking in many ways except in RAM use and CPU cycles.  I'm now looking at LXDE or just running OpenBox (or some other window manager) alone as an alternative to GNOME, but more testing is required.