i8kuitls bug makes impossible use of F14 on Dell Latitude D820

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 01:38:36 UTC 2010

I used i8krllm plugin on F11 and F12 to manage cooling fans on my laptop.
However, after upgrade to F14 I found the plugin not functioning
correctly in Auto mode. It does not respect any temperature settings
anymore. Instead it runs fans at full speed continually and leaves as the
only option Manual fans management. Imagine this... :-(

Well, it would be pity if I have to stop using Fedora on my laptop due to
a such stupid bug.

Any one using Dell laptop here? What would be a solution? The laptop gets
pretty hot otherwise.

Interestingly enough I run across almost the same problem after
installing openSUSE 11.3.  These guys just do not have i8kutils in their
repos at all. Though the laptop is slightly cooler then in F14 (who knows
why?), I am still hesitant to use it without proper fan management. I'll
try to ask for help on openSUSE newsgroup. See, what they say.

Isn't it weird that 2 of the mainstream distros left on cold quite a
large number of Dell laptop users.