i8kuitls bug makes impossible use of F14 on Dell Latitude D820

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Nov 15 03:11:38 UTC 2010

> I used i8krllm plugin on F11 and F12 to manage cooling fans on my laptop.
> However, after upgrade to F14 I found the plugin not functioning
> correctly in Auto mode. It does not respect any temperature settings
> anymore. Instead it runs fans at full speed continually and leaves as the
> only option Manual fans management. Imagine this... :-(
>
> Well, it would be pity if I have to stop using Fedora on my laptop due to
> a such stupid bug.
>
> Any one using Dell laptop here? What would be a solution? The laptop gets
> pretty hot otherwise.
>
> Interestingly enough I run across almost the same problem after
> installing openSUSE 11.3.  These guys just do not have i8kutils in their
> repos at all. Though the laptop is slightly cooler then in F14 (who knows
> why?), I am still hesitant to use it without proper fan management. I'll
> try to ask for help on openSUSE newsgroup. See, what they say.
>
> Isn't it weird that 2 of the mainstream distros left on cold quite a
> large number of Dell laptop users.

I couldn't find any bugzilla for this issue in either the fedora
bugzilla or  Debian bug system.  Have you filed one?

Is it really "impossible" to use F14, or annoying?  I mean, it sounds
(no pun intended) like you'd have a noisy system....but it would work.

FWIW, these utils seem to be maintained by folks on the Debian side.

--
Scully: I just came up with a pretty sick theory Mulder. Mulder: Oooh,
I'm listening! "The X-Files: Our Town" 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段