F12 -> F14 (via preupgrade), not so smooth

Ryan O'Hara rohara at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 03:25:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 04:39:43PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:52:05 -0400
> "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>
> > Last night, after I successfully upgraded my F13 test desktop from
> > F13->F14 w/preupgrade, I started the same operation on my F12 laptop.
> >
> > The results were not so good.
> >
> > X86_64, Asus S96J laptop, w/ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 video card,
> > IPW3945, 2GB RAM, 350GB disk.
>
> ...snip...
>
> > 2) X11 no longer starts up.  I'm using the radeon driver for my ATI
> > Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600].  It was working just
> > fine (as fine can be with the radeon driver), but now it dies with a
> > seg fault with only 3 frames on the stack.  I have re-configured to
> > run the VESA driver, but, I miss my 1200x800 native resolution.  VESA
> > can only do 1024x768.  I can attach my (used to be working) xorg.conf
> > for anyone interested, but it fails in exactly the same way if I
> > delete it as well. I can try again and send along an Xorg.0.log if it
> > will help.
>
> Sure, can you Send the Xorg.0.log attached to your reply to this?
> also, you might try with No /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all, and let the
> driver autodetect things.
>
> ...snip...
>
> > 3)  VMWare-Server won't compile.  Seems it can't find the kernel
> > headers.  Its looking in /usr/src/linux/include, but that directory
> > seems to be missing.  (I built it successfully a number of times under
> > F12.)  I have kernel, kernel-devel, and kernel-headers installed.
> > That used to be enough for VMWare-server.
>
> kernel-devel should be it, but you must be running the exact same
> version of the kernel as your kernel-devel is for it to work. So:
>
> yum update
> reboot
> yum install kernel-devel
>
> You may also be using the PAE kernel, which means you want
> kernel-PAE-devel instead of kernel-devel.
>
> > 4)  There are a number of python errors during bootup.  They are not
> > in DMESG.
>
> Try /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages.
>
> > 5)  the console screen during bootup contains lines starting with
> > [    [ mmm.nnnn ] messages that were not visible on F12.  It makes
> > looking at the [OK] and [Failed] service messges difficult.
>
> Those are timestamps since boot. They can be very usefull to see when a
> message was logged so you know it's old, etc.

Those messages on the console (with the timestamp) are from
dmesg. These are visible on the console in F14 because rc.sysinit no
longer sets the dmesg logging level, thus all messages from dmesg end
up being written to the console. See dmesg(1) for more
information. If you have an older Fedora machine handy you can look at
rc.sysinit where you will find the following:

# Fix console loglevel
if [ -n "$LOGLEVEL" ]; then
      /bin/dmesg -n $LOGLEVEL
fi

This is missing from F14.

I'm of the opinion that this should be fixed. Printing dmesg messages
to the console by default is too much.

I was able to get things back to normal by adding 'dmesg -n 3' to
rc.sysinit. If there is a better way, please let me know. Also, if
there is a compelling reason that this was removed from F14, I'd be
interested to know what that reason is.

Ryan