i8kuitls bug makes impossible use of F14 on Dell Latitude D820

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 04:02:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:11:38 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

>> I used i8krllm plugin on F11 and F12 to manage cooling fans on my
>> laptop. However, after upgrade to F14 I found the plugin not
>> functioning correctly in Auto mode. It does not respect any temperature
>> settings anymore. Instead it runs fans at full speed continually and
>> leaves as the only option Manual fans management. Imagine this... :-(
>>
>> Well, it would be pity if I have to stop using Fedora on my laptop due
>> to a such stupid bug.
>>
>> Any one using Dell laptop here? What would be a solution? The laptop
>> gets pretty hot otherwise.
>>
>> Interestingly enough I run across almost the same problem after
>> installing openSUSE 11.3.  These guys just do not have i8kutils in
>> their repos at all. Though the laptop is slightly cooler then in F14
>> (who knows why?), I am still hesitant to use it without proper fan
>> management. I'll try to ask for help on openSUSE newsgroup. See, what
>> they say.
>>
>> Isn't it weird that 2 of the mainstream distros left on cold quite a
>> large number of Dell laptop users.
>>

> I couldn't find any bugzilla for this issue in either the fedora
> bugzilla or  Debian bug system.  Have you filed one?

I think it is one that Kevin mentions below.

> Is it really "impossible" to use F14, or annoying?  I mean, it sounds
> (no pun intended) like you'd have a noisy system....but it would work.

Well, it all depends of a point of view. Yes, it is possible to work, if
I would agree to slowly cook my old "Latitude D820" friend.

The temperature keeps almost permanently up to 58-60 degrees C.  It
probably is not mortal. However, I used to keep it not higher than 48.
It is much cheaper to replace an overrun fan than any other part of the
laptop.

Though, one could argue that this is probably a question of a habit of
mine.

> FWIW, these utils seem to be maintained by folks on the Debian side.

I know. The problem is, their do not provide a source package anymore but
binary. Thus there is no chance to compile it on my system.

So, it does looks that the thing is available only for Debian and based
on it distros.