bypassing login pam.d

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Nov 15 23:07:28 UTC 2010

msacks writes:

> I have a FC13 system that has no GUI.
> I'd like to bypass the login screen altogether but I'm not sure where to start.
> I'm looking in /etc/pam.d but I'm not sure if this is doable this way?
>
> I am trying to avoid booting into single user mode by default as I'd
> rather not have to manually start services.

If I understood you correctly, you need to put the following into
/etc/gdm/custom.conf:

# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]

TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=[USERNAME]
TimedLoginDelay=5

[security]

[xdmcp]

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]

This should log into your user desktop. Now, I seem to recall one time I
did that on a newly built system, and instead of an automated login I ended
up with just an "Autologin" option added to the gdm menu. If I selected it I
then got bumped into my desktop without a password, but I still had to click
on the option manually. And, I think I had to turn selinux off before
booting straight into my gnome desktop was fully automatic without requiring
any user interaction.

Have no idea why merely turning selinux off or on would have such a drastic
impact on the gdm login. I can't make a logical connection between the two,
but that's what it is, no matter how stupid it seems.

Also, I think you may lose the ability to manually log into some other user
account from gdm, you'll always be autologged into your desktop. Logging out
will simply log you back in. Also, irrespective of everything, you may need
to futz around with your gnome keyring and set a blank password for your
primary keyring, in order for it to be opened up automatically upon your
autologin.