FC14 install memory requirements

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Nov 16 02:41:16 UTC 2010

> I have a Asus EE 700 with 512 Mb memory.  FC12 meminfo reports ~490Mb
> usable memory as I suspect Video is stealing some memory.
>
> Anyway, FC14 install reports that there is NOT enough memory for a
> graphical install.  To add insult to injury it did not even install
> gnome.  It comes up in text mode and startx is not a known command.
>
> This seems rather extreme?  I put FC12 back on the system (how I got the
> memory info), and will try a FC13 install tomorrow.  But are now older
> 512Mb memory systems locked out of FC14?

I've not tried installing F-Anything with memory less than 1GB.  But,
just because it gets installed without Gnome, doesn't mean you can't add
it afterward.  I suspect the install is trying to "protect" folks from a
suboptimal experience with Fedora and hopefully reduce the number of
"Fedora Sucks, it is slow" complaints.  :-)

--
Saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long
period of time. -- George Carlin 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段