errors from mcelog.cron Fedora 14

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Nov 16 18:15:30 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 08:32 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I'm receiving errors from the mcelog.cron script in /etc/cron.hourly:
>
> /etc/cron.hourly/mcelog.cron:
>
> read: No such device
>
> The mcelog.cron script contains the following 2 lines
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/sbin/mcelog --ignorenodev --filter >> /var/log/mcelog
>
> This script is also consistent with RHEL 5.2. This message does not
> occur every hour.
> When I run the mcelog command by hand I do not get this message:
> /usr/sbin/mcelog --ignorenodev --filter

Yes, looks like a recurrence (or partial recurrence) of a bug I filed
against fc12:  540477

>From the new comments in that bug, it looks like the error occurs on the
first time the hourly cron job gets run after the machine is booted, and
not after that (which would explain why there is no error when you run
it by hand).  Seems to be a kernel bug from reading the descriptions and
upstream is aware of it (or soon will be).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net