Fedora-14-i386-dvd.iso, file corrupted

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Nov 16 20:58:17 UTC 2010

Vincent wrote:
> The problem was solved by download the .iso file using another computer.
> The corrupted file was downloaded using Kget this utility some how it
> got activated, because originally wasn't there this is the only visible
> thing different. I like to remove Kget or disable but I do not know
> how.

When something like that happens, it is always a good idea to try to
understand why it happened.

If you run a "cmp -l file1.iso file2.iso", you can see one of these
three scenarios:

1) only one byte is different, or a few sparse bytes; in most cases
there is only one flipped bit: HARDWARE PROBLEMS, memory or general
instability (overclocking or bad power supply)

2) errors starting from a certain position (at on offset dividable
by 4096) and recovering after a while (often 4096 bytes): BAD SOFTWARE,
possibly bad kernel or drivers (or maybe hardware like USB disk boxes)

3) errors starting from a certain position (not round number) and never
recovering, with bytes delayed or anticipated (file content shifted):
BAD SOFTWARE, probably the downloading application or the uploading
server has messed up while resuming a download

The first scenario is the worst; especially if successive runs of the same
command give different results. =8-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it