Online source code browser

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Nov 17 19:51:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:30:22 -0500
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> stan wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:17:02 -0800
> > JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> Is there an online source code browser for Fedora Packages?
> >
> > I've never heard of such a thing, and it would be a big project.  I
> > hope someone knows of one, it would be convenient.
> >
> > As far as I'm aware, the way to do this is to create a build tree in
> > your home directory,
> > rpmdev-setuptree
> > and then get the src.rpm package,
> > yumdownloader --source<package name>
> > and install it in the build tree, as a user.
> > rpm -ivh<package name>
> > Once this is done, move to the SPEC directory,
> > cd ~/rpmbuild/SPEC
> > and run the rpmbuild command to unpack everything.
> > rpmbuild -bp<package name>.spec
> > At this point the source will be unpacked in
> > ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/<package name>
> > You can then look at it with the editor of your choice.
>
> Thank you for the concise description of how to do this, I'm going to
> use it (with attribution) the next time someone hits me with "how do
> I..." on building from source.

You're welcome, glad it was helpful.  It probably exists on the Fedora
wiki somewhere, though probably not so succinctly stated.  I do know the
"compile a custom kernel" page has a more detailed and involved
explanation.  I forgot to mention in the above that the patches that
fedora applies will be in the ~/rpmbuild/SOURCE directory after
unpacking.