Progressively Advancing Video Regressions

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Nov 17 21:18:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:35:44 -0500 (EST)
Philip Vetter <pv+fedora at math.duke.edu> wrote:

> Any ideas why I might be experiencing a progressive degradation of
> Red Hat/Fedora's out-of-the-box support for multiple monitors, and
> what I can do to get things working again?

Just some thoughts from my observations over time.

It isn't the kernel, because it reserves space for 16 graphics devices.
My guess is that you are a victim of obsolescence vs the developers.
They have newer hardware and specific configurations, they therefore
test with newer hardware and specific configurations, and when
regressions occur because of ongoing development, they don't notice
them.  They aren't deliberately trying to degrade your experience, but
the end result is the same.

When these things fail, you can look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log after boot,
and see why they failed.  Then open a bugzilla against either the
driver or Xorg, and work with them when or if they contact you to
resolve the issue.  Certainly not definitive, but a possible solution.

You could revert to older versions of software that supported the
configuration you want to run.  Or versions that are supported for
longer periods of time (CentOS or Scientific Linux).

You can purchase hardware similar to that of the developers. ;-)

You can become a developer or tester for the developers. :-)

In short, none of the solutions are very palatable.