Progressively Advancing Video Regressions

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:36:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:18:10 -0700
stan wrote:

> You can purchase hardware similar to that of the developers. ;-)

I'd go with that one if any of the developers would care
to tell us which cards they use daily on their production
systems? (Any of them fanless? I like my computers quiet).

Certainly my RV410 radeon functioned nearly perfectly
on fedora 13, and now freezes up my system if I try
to run "neverputt".

My incredibly ancient R100 actually almost functioned
in fedora 12 after being totally busted for several
releases, but then went back to totally busted in fedora
13.

My not quite as old RV280 mostly works, but any attempt
to do any opengl stuff results in the brightness going
to "midnight in a coal mine" setting.

The closest card I have to working perfectly in fedora 14
is the RV610 on my machine at work, but it runs into
a firefox/cairo bug that shreds text that scrolls out
from under another window.

All and all, this total driver rewrite to get jello
windows to work better is looking like a complete bust
from the cost/benefit standpoint :-(.

(Yes, I have bugzillas on all these issues).