Progressively Advancing Video Regressions

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 17 21:37:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 16:36:19 -0500,
  Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My not quite as old RV280 mostly works, but any attempt
> to do any opengl stuff results in the brightness going
> to "midnight in a coal mine" setting.

I had problems with my rv280 starting in F13 with 2.6.34 kernels. I can now
use it with nomodeset in rawhide. So I decided moving forward rather than
running an unsupported kernel was the better option.

> The closest card I have to working perfectly in fedora 14
> is the RV610 on my machine at work, but it runs into
> a firefox/cairo bug that shreds text that scrolls out
> from under another window.

I have an rv530 at work, but I don't do much game playing there. I did a couple
of very short tests to see if 3d stuff worked and didn't see any problems in
F14.

> All and all, this total driver rewrite to get jello
> windows to work better is looking like a complete bust
> from the cost/benefit standpoint :-(.

There are lots of changes going on, and they aren't all related to wobbly
windows.