OT: Tiny kernel patch to boost desktop performance in 2.6.38

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Nov 17 23:10:29 UTC 2010

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Just thought a nice announcement about a tiny kernel patch that will enhance desktop linux around kernel 2.6.38
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/210966/tiny_linux_kernel_patch_delivers_huge_speed_boost.html

You may want to follow what's been happening[1] on the devel list. :)

> Will follow this closely.  Hope many here will be excited about this:)

While I am excited about it, in my own testing I did not notice any
improvement. I tested opening a large (>5000x5000) JPEG in Firefox and
running a 3D game. The 3D game becomes choppy while the JPEG image loads
with or without the wonder patch. Now, this may be a bottleneck outside
of the kernel, but I do not have a slouch of a system (F14, quad-core
3ghz w/ 4gigs ram).

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-November/145594.html