FC14 good/bad news

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Nov 18 06:50:21 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 08:33 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Now I can select enhanced effects for video, and they work fine (for values of
> fine considering I wanted to see if they work, not that I want them on).
> However, the display is still dog slow, glxgears runs at 60fps, video is jerky,
> etc. So the "better" video now doesn't crash, does provide effects I don't need,
> and is still too slow to be useful, even on a non-game machine. So much for not
> using vendor drivers.

Examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  Make sure it's loading the "radeon"
driver.  If you don't feel comfortable interpreting the file, post it
somewhere that others can see it.

I don't have an R700 based card, so I don't know too much about their
support level.  The F13 release notes indicated that 3D support for that
chipset had been added.  I'd expect F14 to have somewhat improved drivers...