One satisfied customer with f14!

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Nov 18 16:13:10 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 04:19 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:13:15 -0700
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> We have noticed a couple times that if /boot is very full BEFORE
>> preupgrade downloads anything, it will prompt to do a network based
>> preupgrade which works well.
> Just for curiosity, why have a separate /boot partition at all?
> I always just make a single / partition, install everything on it
> and never run out of space in /boot or /home because it is all the
> same chunk of space.

One reason is that not all file system types are supported by grub.

For instance, until very recently it was nearly impossible to boot from
a logical volume.  So if you wanted to do software based raid, your only
choice was a separate /boot partition.

It was the disparity with grub that caused the Red Hat 'convention', or
tradition, to always create a separate /boot.

Even now, I don't think that grub can boot from a btrfs partition, and
btrfs could possibly become the default in a future release.

I expect the practice of a separate /boot partition to be with us for a
while yet.

Good Luck!