Burning mixed ownership of files to disk producing a problem?

William Stock wstock at fuse.net
Thu Nov 18 16:32:24 UTC 2010

In a small test I had no problem burning some of "my" files and some
"root/root" files.  However, using the CD for a restore would be a
gigantic pain in the backside.  You'd be sitting in front of your
monitor forever.

Two things happen when you try to burn mixed owner files to a CD.  The
first is _you_ end up owning them (instead of root); the second is
*everything* becomes read-only.  If you tar everything you want and burn
the tar file(s) you can keep ownership and permissions.

You might want to consider putting things on a [reusable] flash drive.
Just a thought.