One satisfied customer with f14!

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Nov 18 18:45:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 09:13:10AM -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 04:19 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:13:15 -0700
> > Phil Meyer wrote:
> >
> >> We have noticed a couple times that if /boot is very full BEFORE
> >> preupgrade downloads anything, it will prompt to do a network based
> >> preupgrade which works well.
> > Just for curiosity, why have a separate /boot partition at all?
> > I always just make a single / partition, install everything on it
> > and never run out of space in /boot or /home because it is all the
> > same chunk of space.
>
> One reason is that not all file system types are supported by grub.
>
> For instance, until very recently it was nearly impossible to boot from
> a logical volume.  So if you wanted to do software based raid, your only
> choice was a separate /boot partition.
>
> It was the disparity with grub that caused the Red Hat 'convention', or
> tradition, to always create a separate /boot.
>
> Even now, I don't think that grub can boot from a btrfs partition, and
> btrfs could possibly become the default in a future release.

That's certainly one valid reason. But there has been a long-standing
historical practice of making several filesystems to ensure that, e.g.
corruption occurring on one partition won't affect the whole filesystem.
Makes recovery easier if you don't have to re-do the entire system.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.