Making space on an EeePC

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 19 01:28:25 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 01:35 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> 	I have F14 installed and running on an EeePC 701 -- the earliest
> smallest slowest EeePC afaik.

I also have an EeePC 701 with 512Mb memory and a 4Gb SSD drive.

First you can't do a graphics install on this with F14, as it is really
only 503Mb memory (Video is stealing that 8+Mb).  So I either upgrade
the memory (working on that) or do a text install and then install gnome
later.

Then 4Gb disk just does not cut it.  So I have a 8Gb SD card and I
partition as follows:

On the SSD drive:

A 200Mb ext3 /boot partition (for this system, I can't see any value of
using ext4).
A 1.5Gb swap partition.
A ~2.2Gb ext3 /var/log partition (your most active system directory).

On the SD card:

An 8Gb LVM partition with a max sized / ext3 partition.

Build a local f14 update repo and during the install point to it so
after the install, you don't have to go and update everything you
installed!  Do it once.

Also I have a local F14 base repo and I boot of CD 1 with the askmethod
option so I can point to the local repo and install over the nextwork
faster than reading from the USB CD drive.

Hope this helps.  I first had F12 on my Eeee, and recently moved ot
F13.  F14 is waiting for the memory boost.