Making space on an EeePC

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 18:32:21 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 11/19/10, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/2010 01:45 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > All my research recommended NOT using a journaling
> filesystem like ext3 on SSDs.  It wears them out
> faster.  Although, I did read one article where the
> writer actually crunched numbers, and concluded that SSDs
> made within the past couple of years have a mean "write"
> life equal to a typical hard drive.  However, I decided
> to play it safe, and went with ext2.
> >

> I have too many personal failures with ext2 to go with it
> any more.  Now granted most of them were with DSL on a
> wonderful Toshiba Libretto 110CT (64Mb memory max) with a
> 4Gb drive, but it got tiresome dealing with a broken drive
> and needing to reinstall yet again.
>
> A big thing is the noatime option.  Turn this puppy
> OFF.

I think the noatime option was set during the initial install on the EeePC 900 I configured.  I used Eeebuntu 3.0, not Fedora, and a lot of things that aren't normally done on a typical install were as it was EeePC-specific. As the computer was a gift, I can't check right now.

Thanks for the advice.