Making space on an EeePC

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 19:17:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Fri, 11/19/10, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com>

>> > All my research recommended NOT using a journaling
>> filesystem like ext3 on SSDs.  It wears them out faster.
>>  Although, I did read one article where the writer actually
>> crunched numbers, and concluded that SSDs made within the
>> past couple of years have a mean "write" life equal to a
>> typical hard drive.  However, I decided to play it safe,
>> and went with ext2.
>>
>> I still have F13 installed on mine but I used BTRFS with
>> the SSD
>> option and it seems to work well. I'm probably going to
>> stick with F13
>> since it works well enough and the update cycle should slow
>> down.
>> Doing a lot of updates on an older EEEPC sucks (time
>> wise).
>
> Have only heard of BTRFS recently and know little about it, but that will change over the next few days.
>
> I opted for ext2 because of the years it had been around, and thus, was very stable and as bug free as one can make it.  And I was very familiar with administering it.

I've been using on my Netbook for quite some time and so far no
issues. My kids even helped "test" it. I'm using a striped LVM across
the internal 4GB SSD and a 4GB SD card and my littlest "pushed" the SD
card and popped it out. I plugged it back in and rebooted and it came
back up clean as far as I can tell.

Richard