F14 cobbler daemon

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 17:04:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:29:12 -0700, stan wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:10:59 +0000 (UTC) Beartooth
> <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:
	[....]
> 	What is to be done?

> How about, as root,
> chkconfig cobblerd off

	OK; did that.

> The next time it boots, cobbler won't start, so the error won't occur. I
> assume you can turn off the daemon if you can run a yum update.  It that
> isn't true, you might have to poke around in the configuration for
> cobbler to turn it off.

	Is it simply the word "serving" that tells me, or do I have to
ask somehow?

> Run
> rpm -q --filesbypkg cobbler
> to find where all the files are.

	Ye gods & little fishes!

	I tried that under ssh -Y from two machines on the LAN. On the
full-sized PC & monitor,

[root at BBB ~]# rpm -q --filesbypkg cobbler|less

got me a list 28 screens long. (On the little EeePC701, it was well over
40.) So I installed most on the target. At the bottom of that, I see

-- MOST: *stdin*                                          (357,1) 100%

	I don't know what units "(357,1)" refers to (though I doubt the
revolver caliber is involved), but isn't that a huge amount of space for
one app? I also don't know how to search nor what to search for. I think
the following lines from "man:most" in Konqueror (by the most legible
display of man pages that I know of) are trying to tell me, but I don't
get it :

f, /, CTRL-F, FIND, GOLD PF3
 Prompt for a string and search forward from the current line for ith
distinct line containing the string. CTRL-G aborts.
?
 Prompt for a string and search backward for the ith distinct line
containing the string. CTRL-G aborts.
 Search for the next i lines containing an occurrence of the last search
string in the direction of the previous search.

	Anyway, then I went to the target by way of the KVM switch, where
there was now a message, typical afaict of several I had forgotten to
mention. I transcribed it by hand, and will now try to type it :

[66081.815656] usbhid 4-2.3:1.1: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint

	Then I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and watched the boot messages. This
time it stopped one line higher, at

Registering binary handler for Windows applications     [OK]

but has since added five more endpoint messages, all with different
numbers (preceded now by two or three spaces), but otherwise the same. It
seems to add one more every time I use the KVM switch to get to it.