F14 cobbler daemon

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Nov 21 03:08:25 UTC 2010

Beartooth wrote:
> The description in PackageKit (which I had to go through in unusual
> detail, because only the LiveCD had succeeded in installing F14)
> made it sound (to me) like a thing to try.

Fair enough, I suppose.  Cobbler is really cool stuff, if you're
interested in automating the provisioning of new hosts.  But it's also
not a tool that does much hand-holding.  So you'll want to have a
decent grasp of PXE, DHCP, DNS, kickstart, and other core system
services to take advantage of the tools cobbler provides.

> How do you know it completed? That upper case sure looked like an
> urgent warning to me ....

The all-caps "SERVING" is just bad form in the init script, IMO.  I
even sent a patch upstream a long-time back, but it was not accepted.
I should try again now that there are different maintainers.  I feel
that packages should follow the same standard for output during init,
and that means not printing useless messages like the one cobbler
currently prints..

> Also, what is a good way (if there is one, short of removing
> cobbler) to get to the next item??

It may be worth hitting 'i' at boot when it says something like "press
'i' for interactive boot" as that should step through each startup
service individually..

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
    -- Tacitus, Roman senator and historian (A.D. c.56-c.115)