nouveau and 3d performance in f14?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 21 21:51:32 UTC 2010

mike cloaked writes:

> Before I start tinkering with 3d graphics (like desktop effects) in my
> f14 main machine (with a nVidia Corporation G96 [Quadro FX 380]
> graphics card in it), I wondered if anyone here has played with 3d
> graphics (installing the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package first)
> and running with our open source nouveau driver rather than the
> proprietary driver.
>
> If anyone can report what performance has been like with
> nouveau/mesa-dri-drivers-experimental on a machine with my card I

Noveau on my laptop with an NV4x chipset works fairly well. A very small
number of Compiz plugins trigger some kind of a bug that corrupts the
display. Avoiding the troublesome plugins was easy, and absolutely no issues
whatsoever with the Gnome shell in F14.

On the other hand, another machine with a different, NV5x chipset, makes
Noveau barf immediately. Compiz comes up without errors, but it doesn't take
long before windows and icons turn into empty squares, the display starts to
barf, refuses to modeset to another VT console, etc. Basically unusable.
Work in progress.

I have no idea about the raw performance. I'm not into FPS metrics, much. On
the laptop with NV4x it simply works, I get my eye candy, and I'm happy. I'm
hoping that in the coming years NV5x support will be just as stable as NV4x.