Menubar missing from F14 gnome-terminals

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Mon Nov 22 01:29:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 00:49 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 21/11/10 23:23, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> >
> > Erik,
> >
> > Not quite. The "Show Menubar" checkbox is at the bottom of the right
> > click popup menu, and as I indicated in my original message the checked
> > or unchecked state of that box has no effect.
> >
> > --Doc Savage
> >    Fairview Heights, IL
> >
> Well, on my F14 is has effect on the current terminal only. If you want a
> permanent state do: "Show menu -> Profiles >- Profile Preferences" and check the
> relevant box.

Erik,

I'm sure it works that way on most systems. I'm trying to figure out why
my system is not behaving properly. Whatever the problem is, it's a hard
fail on my system. I'm searching for some particular background setting
that has disabled the GNOME config-editor's ability to make the menu bar
visible in gnome-terminal 2.32.0-1.

The "Show menu" line you describe does not appear in my right-click
popup menu. My popup window contains the following:

     Open Terminal
     Open Tab
   -----------------
     Close Window
   -----------------
     Copy
     Paste
     Profiles     >   (*) Default
                          Profile Preferences

When I select Profile Preferences and go to the General tab I see the
box is checked for "Show menubar by default in new terminals". All of
the "normal" ways to make the menubar visible are set to show it.

So.... What *OTHER* GNOME setting could be overriding these?

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL