Time consumed

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:55:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have ran the command by hand to scp a 200MB file from a remote
> server to a local server.
> is there a way to time it, I mean how much time it has consumed for
> the scp to complete the task.
>
> How do i incorporate in bash shell script.

Like Ranjan said, when the command completes it outputs the time, you
should be able to use awk[1] to get it if you want to do something
with it later (like output it to a log file). It may be redundant in
this case but there is also the time command which outputs the time
for a command to complete with additonal things like system time (cpu
time?).

Richard

[1] http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/sedawk.html