Wireless drivers

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 01:18:21 UTC 2010

On 11/22/2010 01:51 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Would someone be able to possibly tell me the most used wireless drivers
> in laptops that are mostly supported by Fedora, out of the box and not
> require much 3rd party support?  For example, intel, realtek (sp?),
> atheros, etc..are those open source drivers or at least supported fairly
> good?  Is there a website that can easily print/look at and see what
> works and what needs 3rd party support?
>
> Thanks ahead of time,
>
> Mike Chambers

Best way to know what devices are supported is
to download the source code of the kernel then
cd <kernel-src-dir>/drivers/net/wireless
and look inside the drivers.
Another way is  to
cd <kernel-src-dir>
and run
make xconfig
and in the GUI, go to
Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> Wireless LAN

There you will see the devices listed on the right hand side.