No keyboard with GDM on F14

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Tue Nov 23 07:42:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 22:42 -0500, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:48:28 +0100
> Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > When I boot F14 and I reach the GDM screeen there is simply no field
> > to enter the user ID and no user list, apparently it doesn't detect
> > the keyboard.  This happens both with an USB keyboard and with a PS/2
> > one.
> >
> > If I force a restart of GDM either through CTRl-ALT-BS or through a
> > telinit 3, telinit 5 on a non-graphiacl console then then new GDM
> > works as it is supposed to do.
> >
> > My guess is that Dracut starts GDM before the keyboard and that is
> > why X doesn't detect it and GDM doesn't work.
> >
> > JFM
> >

> Jean:
> I don't think that dracut is the problem. I have two separate Fedora
> installations. The first runs Fedora 14 64 bit and has not had any
> problems booting. The second, running Fusion 14 RC 32 bit, exhibits the
> identical behavior you have described. Both use the same version
> of dracut: 006.3..fc14.
>
> Thanks for the ctrl-alt-backspace workaround. Awkward, but it works.
>
> -- cmg

Both boxes where I have tried were running 64 bits version so it isn't a
question of 32 bits vs 64 bits.  I think it is race condition related to
dracut or more exactly to dracut configuration.  Dracut starts services
in parallel.  In some boxes GDM seems to win the race against the
keyboard.  A proper configuration would force X/GDM depend on the
keyboard for start up purposes.