"Alien" .deb converter to rpm in F14, how?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Nov 23 17:09:25 UTC 2010

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On the other side, I wonder what has made Fedora decide that "Alien"
> was not worth including as a standard package with the distro?.
> After all it doesn´t mean supporting that other devil package format
> ;-) but actually making life _easier_ for Fedora users that
> sometimes might stumble upon some piece of software only delivered
> as a .deb ...

Personally, I don't think alien does a good job converting packages.
It's perhaps a step better than checkinstall.  But neither is a
substitute for properly packaging the software as an rpm.

Most of the time, that's a very short process if you just want to
package something for your own system.  It's a little more work to get
the package included in the Fedora repositories.  This is a good
thing, since the bar should be higher if you intend to have the
package deployed to many end-user systems.

The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone seeks to
live at the expense of everyone else.
    -- Fredric Bastiat