/usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0b removed!

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 24 15:11:20 UTC 2010

Benjamin <benjamin10 at gmx.at> wrote:

>Hello everybody!
>
>I have made a big s***!While trying get the literatur program "Mendeley"
>getting started a tried to create links. Because the linking did not
>work i removed the link the following link. In exact i did the follwoing:

You sure did.

>[root at Banjo lib]# ls /usr/lib/libssl.so*
>/usr/lib/libssl.so.10 /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0b
>[root at Banjo lib]# unlink /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0b libssl.so.0
>unlink: zusätzlicher Operand „libssl.so.0“
>„unlink --help“ gibt weitere Informationen.
>[root at Banjo lib]# unlink /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0b

Why did you do this? Was the program complaining that you had the wrong version of openssl?

>[root at Banjo lib]# ls /usr/lib/libssl.so*
>/usr/lib/libssl.so.10
>[root at Banjo lib]# yum install openssl
>There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
>required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
>
>libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>Please install a package which provides this module, or
>verify that the module is installed correctly.
>
>It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
>current version of Python, which is:
>2.7 (r27:82500, Sep 16 2010, 18:03:06)
>[GCC 4.5.1 20100907 (Red Hat 4.5.1-3)]
>
>If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
>the yum faq at:
>http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq
>
>However,
>I tried to search the internet to solve this problem but i found no
>help! So how and were do i get the lib "libssl.so.1.0.0b" and how should
>a link this with /usr/lib/libssl.so.10. Please help!

ln -s libssl.so.10 libssl.s0.1.0.0b

should restore the link that you removed.  Warning:  Don't remove symlinks unless you specifically are directed to do so by a package's readme file.  Major system breakage may result (libssl is used for SELinux for example to generate file hashes.)

James McKenzie