kickstart user and the --gecos option

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Nov 24 19:43:33 UTC 2010

I am installing F12 via kickstart.  I want to set up my userid, and
after a bit of reading figured out I needed to add the user command.

On reading https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart I figured
out I needed:

user --name=me --gecos="me myself" --password=nothingspecial

But the install gave me an error on the --gecos option, saying it was an
invalid option.  So I removed it to get the install going, I can add the
name later.  But what gives, here.  I used gecos back in the late 70s to
mid-80s.  Gecos 4 and 6 when I worked at AMC!  Did a lot with the
Codesyl database on online transaction processor....

Anyway, yeah, GECOS.  My cuz worked for them too.  So what is the format
for --gecos when you want a space in the name field.  And where are the
GECOS fields described?