F14 on eeepc 901 report, fyi

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Nov 25 01:32:43 UTC 2010

For any who may be interested, I've been setting up F14 on my eeepc 901,
the Linux model (it makes a difference... the Windoze model comes with
smaller SSD storage.)

I installed from live cd, doing a custom partition job. the 4 gig ssd
becomes /boot and /root, while the 16 gig SSD becomes 2 gigs of swap
(this particular machine has 2 gigs of RAM), /usr and /home.

when I originally installed F13, I did not separate /usr from /root, and
over the course of a few  months, as updates occurred and other packags
were installed, the 4 gig "drive" became nearly full. at that point I
manually repartitioned, moving /usr to the second "drive". So I set up
F14 that way from the beginning.

I removed the default LVM partition scheme as offereed by Anaconda, then
manually set up the partition scheme, making sure to retain encrypted
partitions.

everything installed without a hitch. even the ralink wireless hardware
worked out of the box with no troubles (so far, fingers remain crossed).
All the hardware seems to have been correctly discovered and enabled,
though I havent yet tried any bluetooth devices.

A minor irritant is that there is no user-visible way to change the
wallpaper on the GDM (login) screen. The old wallpaper changer in F13
had a "make default" checkbox, but F14 doesn't. (editorial comment:
I wish they'd stop messing with UI features, making them harder or
impossible to use--it seems like every release has some formerly useful
UI feature disabled/hidden/broken.) I'll have to grope some system
directories, I guess, to figure out where that is configured.

one other odd thing: unlike F13, F12, F11, F10, all of which have
run varying degrees of "well" on this machine, playing with glxgears
gives strange results: the default window size gives about 30 FPS,
and it is very jumpy. But maximizing the window (or even just dragging
a corner til it mostly (but-not-even-fully) fills the screen, the
framerate doubles, and virtually all the jumpiness disappears. resize
it to the original size andthe framerate drops back to 30 and it is
all jumpy again. Is this a result of the performance regressions in the
Intel video drivers I've been reading about on Phoronix? I would expect
it to get slower as it gets bigger, as it always has in the past!

but such relatively minor issues aside, it runs great!

Kudos and huge thanks to the Fedora team!!

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."