Using ionice -c3 in f13: system seems less responsive than under f12

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Nov 25 13:30:04 UTC 2010

Hi:  My system spends a lot of its time processing video data, often
with not much numerical processing involved - just remuxing or making an
iso image.  atop often shows disk activity above 90%.  I do most of this
using ionice -c3, (ie 'idle' scheduling) which is supposed to reduce
impact on other tasks.  The man page says "The impact of idle io
processes on  normal system activity should be zero"  and certainly
under f12 that seemed at least approximately true; but under f13
terminal response is often very sluggish when these tasks are running.
Using kde 4.5.3, scheduling elevator=deadline (as in f12).

Am I expecting the right thing?  Does anyone else see this?

John P