Home icon on gnome panel

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 25 16:39:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 23:41 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 17:22 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > After some unsuccessful attempts to put a Home icon on a Gnome panel
>
> ... which you didn't outline.
>
> Did you try the obvious:  Pick a home folder somewhere on the desktop,
> the one on the desktop, or one in the places menu, then drag and drop it
> onto the panel?

Sorry to be vague.  I tried to copy the icon on the desktop many times.
The home folder on the desktop can't be copied anywhere or dragged or
copied to the panel.  See my next posting.

However Places->Home Folder can be dragged (copied) anywhere.

Another question: Where is the standard icon that Gnome uses for
"Sombody's Home" located?  It's not at .../user-home.*, which is the
usual path.  I'm using a rather attractive icon at
        /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/24x24/mimetypes/user-home.icon
but this is not the same as the one on the desktop.

jon