Any Dittoheads out there?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Nov 26 00:20:03 UTC 2010

Geoffrey Leach writes:

> No flames please. This is a technical question.
>
> I download podcasts with a script that runs after 11pm
> (Satelite internet). Is it possible to get the URL for the day's show
> by scraping the member's page or compute it?. Needless to say, their
> tech suport has no idea what I am trying to do.

It's very likely that your login ends up with the server sending your
browser a cookie. Even if you can derive the URL yourself, without a cookie
you're not going to get anything.

You'll need to put together a script which submits a login request, and in
addition to stashing away any cookies it gets, parses the HTML document that
comes in, and follows the HTML links (obediently returning all the cookies)
until it gets to the URL you're looking for.

This should be doable, unless there's convoluted Javascript or Flash
involved in navigating your way to the dowload URL, manually. Whether or not
that's the case may not be necessarily obvious.