kickstart user and the --gecos option

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 26 01:12:10 UTC 2010

On 11/25/2010 01:31 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> JB wrote:
>
>> Robert Moskowitz<rgm<at>   htt-consult.com>   writes:

>> They are (for Linux):
>> full name, office, office phone, home phone
>>
>> Kickstart option:
>> --gecos=
>>       Provides the GECOS information for the user. This is a string of various
>> system-specific fields separated by a comma. It is frequently used to specify
>> the user's full name, office number, and the like. See man 5 passwd for more
>> details.
>>

> We used to say GECOS would never die, but we meant the OS instead of the field
> name.

I am supprised it lasted as long as it did.  I got switched from it to
IBM in '86, shortly after the painful conversion to GECOS 6 (my cuz was
one of the GECOS 6 architects and having an inside connection sure
helped with the conversion).

>   But the fields after the full name were always optional, I guess the
> blanks are at fault, the quotes don't seem to work as delimiters, do they?

I will probably be doing a rebuild again tomorrow, and this time I am
going to try it with just the name with the spaces and see if it works.

I rsynced the F12 everything tree, only 16Gb and took 22 hours, but no
more missing dependencies from the Amahi stuff...  Though I have some
thoughts about how to point to the everything repo as an additional repo
and that might work too.  Though how do you specify priority of the
repos for search?