End of life for FC12?

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 01:33:27 UTC 2010

While trying to find the press release from RH about dropping XEN and why (found this instead: http://virtualization.info/en/news/2008/06/red-hat-adopts-kvm-what-happens-to-xen.html), noted that RHEL 6 Final was release about 2 weeks ago, and the default virtualization is KVM.  Do you really think Red Hat is going to switch back to XEN for 7 after all the work that went into finalizing 6?  Of course, XEN probably will be available as an alternative, but you'll have to recompile the kernel.  XEN is still listed in the F12 repo.

> Depending on what you run in a VM, there may be performance
> issues in xen vs
> HVM, harder to say with Linux, since it might run
> paravirtualized anyway.

I used to run qemu and its accelerator load module with a stock kernel on a 1GHz Duron machine with 1.5 GB RAM (Its max) in Slackware, Fedora Core 3, 4, 5, & 6.  It worked quite well, although, it wasn't in a server environment, just experimentation.  I hated having to multi-boot to test distros or run Windows.  To make a long story short, I never liked the way XEN was implemented.