Mailman tutorial

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 26 01:37:41 UTC 2010

On 11/25/2010 10:35 AM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I have never set up Apache to use a system with cgi-bin, it was
>> always automated for me. I can go on with 'new' stuff; that is why I
>> was looking for a RECENT tutorial (I am finding them for like
>> FC3-5).
>>
> I usually find such howtos are filled with a lot of useless and/or
> incorrect information.  Though not a lot has changed since FC5 (or
> even FC3) regarding mailman's setup.

Yes they vary a lot.  I tried a vanilla setup on my notebook, and the
create list script ran.  But on the server I want to run where I have to
use a virtual host, there I am getting problems.  I do have the
beginnings of linking things in.

> The documentation included in the mailman package is fairly good.  And
> if it leaves you stuck at a particular point, you can always search
> for help with just that step or ask in the mailman-users list.  (I
> used to help out there a little, but one of the upstream developers
> does a much better job of that task, so I haven't bothered to be very
> active there in a long time.  It's a generally friendly and helpful
> place.)
>
> Start by reading /usr/share/doc/mailman-*/INSTALL.REDHAT.  That
> documents fairly well what steps you need to take to complete the
> things that the rpm isn't quite able to automate for you.

This is helping.  It helped me link the mailman.conf into amahi's
1003-mailman.conf apache files that now have started things, but I still
have to figure out the virtual host part right.

> I'm a fan of postfix for the mail server, and mailman integrates
> nicely with it.  It can also integrate nicely with exim, though I've
> never used exim by choice.  Integrting it with sendmail is a bit more
> work, but is possible.  (By integrating, I mostly mean that mailman
> can help automate the task of adding the needed aliases for new
> lists.)

We used
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-fedora-12-x86_64
as our template for http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_Mail_System.
I have been running this on F10 (Amahi 4) for a year and now finally
moving it to F12 while we are finishing up our F14 port.  Sheesh, I am
trying to run a little faster.  But this setup has been working really
well for me.  Thing is, we DON'T use the alias file, but all the
addresses are in a mySQL database.  I will have to see how the
integration will go.  Do I have mailman work with the alias file or have
it update the users sql table?