How to install the LibreOffice beta 3 rpm package

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Nov 26 17:33:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 01:15:59 +0800
David Nelson <commerce at traduction.biz> wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> There is a download of LibreOffice 3.3 beta 3 at:
>
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-beta3/rpm/x86/LibO_3.3.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
>
> There are no instructions about how to install it, and I want to draft
> a how-to to be included with the download.
>
> However, I'm an Ubuntu user and I'm not familiar with installing rpm's
> any more. Could anyone help me out with precise instructions for
> Fedora Core so that the LibO community's newbie users have chance of
> success?

Note that it's just "Fedora" now since Fedora 7. ;)

Sure, I'll take a stab...

> To provide a framework, here are the instructions applicable to
> Debian Ubuntu:

This step is the same:

> "1) When you unpack the downloaded archive, you will see that the
> contents have been decompressed into a directory called "en-US". Open
> a terminal window, and change directory to the "en-US" directory.

This step the dir is called 'RPMS':

> 2) The "en-US" directory contains a subdirectory called "DEBS". Change
> directory to the directory "DEBS".

This should be:

su -c 'yum install *.rpm'

> 3) Then run this command (you will be prompted to enter your root
> user's password):
>
> sudo dpkg -i *.deb

This step doesn't appear to be needed, there is no desktop-integration
directory for the rpm based install...

> 4) dpkg does the first part of the installation process. Now change
> directory to the "desktop-integration" directory that is within the
> "DEBS" directory. Run the dpkg command again:
>
> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>
> The installation process is now completed, and you should have icons
> for all the LibreOffice applications in your Applications/Office
> menu."
>
> Could someone edit the above instructions to work for Fedora Core? A
> big thanks in advance for any help... ;-)

Thats a first stab at it. Hopefully some other folks can try it and
expand on it.

kevin