Distributing a Fedora appliance

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Sat Nov 27 13:47:24 UTC 2010

On 11/26/2010 01:37 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno at wolff.to>  wrote:
>> If you distribute binaries, you need to make source code available as well.
>> There are a few ways to do that and you want to make sure you are doing at
>> least one of them.
> The source code is already provided by the distro distributed. A VM is
> just a repackaging of the distro, in its installed form.

While your statement might sound reasonable on the surface, I do not
believe it actually complies with the GPL.  As a distributor of GPLd
software, you are responsible for providing the source.  The fact that
the source is available elsewhere does not absolve you of the
responsibility, just like the source being available for RHEL does not
absolve the CentOS project from needing to provide the source they use
to build the CentOS binaries.

Woogie